Your Ad Here

Tuesday 20 March 2007

I made a hard decision.

The only thing that got me heading back to the gym was the money I had paid. But was it worth all the pain I was going through? Should I stop the pin-rolling sessions and just continue the exercises alone? Should I put up a brave front and suffer in silence? Should I come out boldly and tell the manager that I'm done with it? All these thoughts kept going through my head as I walked my kids through their school gate.

Coming back and heading towards my car, I saw a young man (obviously another parent) leaning by the door, I wondered why he was resting on my car. Just as I placed my hand on the door to get in, he looked at me and said, "Excuse me....?",'huh?"I said.Just then,I noticed that the car was not mine. Lost in my thoughts, I did not realise that the driver had moved away to re-park somewhere else.I was about to walk into a stranger's car. I simply apologised and scurried away.I felt so stupid.

As I got on the express way, I kept hoping that there will be some kind of traffic to delay me in other to meet the areobics class half-way or better still miss it altogether. None of that happened as the road was clear and devoid of all forms of obstacles to give me any excuse. Well, after the aerobics session I was informed that there would be no pin-rolling for the day. What joy! The spa area was undergoing some kind of renovation and replacement of machines and things. Phew! I let out a huge sigh of relief.

The next day was not so bad either,I went in with my mind all psyched up to face the cruelty of the masseur.I found out that two new girls had just been employed and they were both made to practise the pin rolling on my body.I didn't like the idea but I was trying to be strong and not scream like the last time.So they proceeded to roll.I felt so uncomfortable but I had to relax and allow them.They were very gentle much to my pleasant suprise,they were more like rubbing my body taking turns with the wooden pin roll and massaging me.I finished up with the body wrap and the sauna bath.While I was in the bath,I overheard the gym manager complaining about the new employees not doing a good job on me.Who cares?The girls tried abeg,or was it because she did not hear me scream like the last time?

Following day was a different ball game entirely.The manager came to work on me by herself.Maybe she was trying to make up for the previous day but she really overdid it.At a point,she climbed on the bed ,her legs astride,back bent over and she was kneading my back as if she was grinding pepper on stone.I had earlier made up my mind and I was so determined not to scream or shout.The only time in my life I felt like this was when I was going through labour pains.I shut out my mind completely from the pangs and focused on the thoughts of seeing my baby and holding him.This time was different.I tried to concentrate on something,anything to justify my reasons for this self inflicted 'labour'.I tried and tried but nothing could hold as I let out a loud shrieking cry.Maybe this woman could not hear me as she kept saying those new girls were 'playing with me ' yesterday so she had to make up for it today.'THIS!(puff!)-FAT!(puff!)-HAS!(puff!)-TO!(puff!)-GO!(puff!)'!She was breathing and panting heavily,she would inhale and then drop the wooden pin on me exhaling at the same time.I thought I had seen the worst until she came to my bum.After hitting it repeatedly,and complaining about how tight my undies were,she slipped her hands through the g string and yanked it off my बच्क्सिदे!I was too horrified to even speak.I just laid very still holding tightly to the bed praying and telling myself,"I will never be fat again......I will never be fat again......".


I'm a very ,very shy person.My three kids were conceived with the lights turned off.Mr Somebody knows that he has to knock before he comes into my room even though the door would still be locked anyway.Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm fat,I can't take off my clothes in the view of other people.I even hate to look at myself.So being pin rolled for me was a very big deal.When the gym manager told me I would be in my undies,I asked her if i could bring along a pair of shorts?I told her about my excessive shyness and she said,"are we not all ladies here'?(Yes I know ,but I don't see y'all getting naked,just me!).She had told me that the g string I wore that day was too tight and she needed to pull it down a little to work on my bum.I wanted to tell her to roll over it but before I knew what was going on,my backside was bare and she proceeded as if nothing had happened!

That's it!!There was no way I was going to be stripped and panel -beaten at the same time.I was already going through momentary insanity already because of this,(or how else can I explain trying to get into someone else's car beleiving it to be mine?)This method won't work for me at all.There should be a better way.I left that day feeling very humiliated and mad at everyone.The next day I came up with an excuse,I told the manager that I had some family issues to sort out.My junior brother just got admitted in the university and needed some money.I had to hold on to the second installment to enable me pay for his tuition.All these took place last year,december to be precise.I have not been to that gym this year ,my membership subscription expires in May.The only progress I've made so far on weight loss is updating this blog.I've read all the wonderful comments and taken note of the good advice.Thank you beautiful people of blogsville,the onus is now on me to take a deep plunge into the ocean of determination,swim through the waters of consistency,paddle through the waves of steadfastness and arrive on the shores of fulfilment.

41 comments:

Ubong Da said...

Shoo in the name of whatever she pulled down your g-string holy cow. The woman should be sued. I hope she didn't see anything she wasn't meant to see.

Maybe you could try jogging, riding a bicycle or get a threadmill in the house.

Bubbles said...

Oh no! That is some crazy ish. I'm glad u didn't go back. If u ever find urself in that kind of situation (hopefully u don't), u r paying and it's ur body, u need to speak up and be more assertive about stuff like that.

Hopefully u find a better way to ditch the weight.Good luck.

BiMbyLaDs** said...

lol.. mrs sombori ur a clown without even meaning to be one.. keep on trying diff stuff.. one will surely work o.. !!loll... :)

Azuka said...

Seriously that's a severe intrusion of privacy. That pin-rolling sounds like a Chinese torture...

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

First off, permit me to LMAO at :'THIS!(puff!)-FAT!(puff!)-HAS!(puff!)-TO!(puff!)-GO!(puff!)! hahahahahaha! For real, that woman is summin....

I feel you dear, I don't know how the pin-rolling thingy works, but I know that at the end of your ordeal, you'll be more beautiful and you'll feel more confident.. I know it aint easy girl, but just do it! You will be better off for it...

In your own words...take a deep plunge into the ocean of determination,swim through the waters of consistency,paddle through the waves of steadfastness and arrive on the shores of fulfilment... That's where I see you! Best of luck!

Unknown said...

mrs somebody, i'm sooo happy you've updated. please dont give up with this weight loss. its really difficult but a little each time will go a very long way.

dont forget im in your corner.

Waffarian said...

heheheheheh, i don laugh so tey......tears are now falling! ah ah! my dear, Naija has lots of vegetables, fruits, fish, nuts, oh girl, abeg, eat all the good stuff, you can eat as much as you want, just skip the carbs, sweets, sugar, etc. I take God beg you, forget all those kain sufferhead! ah ah!

Motivated to lose lbs said...

Lol! Seriously, this post was very funny, especially the panting manager grinding pepper on your back! Absolutely hilarious!
But do we really have to go to such lenghts to loose weight? Aerobics, yes. But what exactly is the point of the pin rolling? How is kneading the fat on your body going to get rid of it?
Mrs Somebody, please look for a more fun way to loose the weight. It could be something as simple as taking long walks,jogging,aerobics combined with healthy eating habbits.
The one thing I do miss about Nigeria is the good food. Everything is organic, unlike here where everything is overprocessed!
Me rambling away again. Please keep at it, and find your comfort zone and whatever you do, keep blogging!!

Unknown said...

mrs somebody, at last an update. I'm off to read ur post now.

One observation: what is going on here? Ubong Da has been first 2 comment consistently on ur blog for sometime now. KILODE?!?!?!

Unknown said...

I loved this post. Hilarious!! Pls make very good use of ur gym subsciption before it runs out in May. This is march already. Pls be serious pin rolling or not. Make good use of ur money. Keep the end result in focus and not the pain. (smile)

chioma said...

Eh yah ..i feel for you..being shy and all you must have been really embarassed..Ok tell em you dont the pin rolling, na by force? Can't you use the sauna and join the aerobics without the pin rolling? Me I dont understand how it works sef! No pain No gain but dis one na torture.
E go better ok? Maybe you need a personal trainer if oprah can loose it so can you!

Cheetarah said...

Do my eyes decieve me!is this an update!will be back to read it sharpish!

Anonymous said...

cant you try something else at the gym. pls dont kill yourself for your children o

Unknown said...

Ewoooo, I can't believe she molested you like that, I swear do we simply lack tact once we're on our own shores? Imagine reaching for someone's underwear and you didn't even buy her dinner yet. Hisssssss!

sorry mrs somebody, you can definitely do it, unfortunately they're virtually no public spaces like parks that I know of in Nigeria and walking on a main road can be a death wish, otherwise i'd say inves in some serious walks until you can get to jogging or running? What about marching around your house or if you have stairs in your house, going up and down? God dey sha, as long as you stay committed to it, it can all come off, not to worry.

Simply Gorgeous said...

Wow- you want them to kill you abi. Somebody told me they can set my back by walking on it this person walked on my back , my ribs my head and my neck. For three days I thought I was dead or wished I was. I wish you a more successful stress free gym experience.

Anonymous said...

Okay, what is the theory behind the pin rolling? It sounds like the horror version of a massage. I doubt it does anything for losing weight. I suggest you stick to aerobics.

Remi Fagbohun said...

You poor thing!!
That was serious abuse!! Pele...

You can really do this, you have been given a great deal of good advice, start by eating the fruits as advised, and minimizing the carbs. More protein than carbs - it helps!

I have aunts that were bigger and knew that it was in my genes to be as well, eating right and working out (though I havent done any working out recently - NO TIME) have helped me and can help you too.

30 is far from old. Keep your head up, losing weight is something we all need motivation with.

Anonymous said...

My advice... dont think of it at loosing weight. You'll depress yourself. Just go the gym, join a good class and take it at your pace. It 2 weeks i promise you'll see the difference. The food you eat too... you'd be shocked how important that is. Ditch the carbs for chicken, about the size of your palm and fish is always great with lots of greens. After a month you can slowly add a few carbs in here and there. Fruit with every meal and NO SUGAR OR CANDY! ;) Sorry too much info, i'm just in super healthy part of Yankee... you get influence. Goodluck!

Omara said...

Please promise never to do that pin rolling again. I was laughing as I read but realised this is serious stuff. She can do you some serious damage. Think of your children.

Anonymous said...

Good luck girl,

We are all in the same shoes and feel you. My name says it all.

chidi said...

gawd! imagine it being as painful as being in labour. I dnt have children but i can just imagine. Good luck! Hope u manage to loose the weight and dnt have to turn the lights off anymore

Favoured Girl said...

Awww you poor dear! I don't blame you for not going back there. That pin-rolling thing sounds like pure torture! Find something that works for you, swimming is good, as it gives you an all-over body workout. Whatever you do, you must enjoy it. And think about the size of your meals. As adults we eat too much subconsciously. Sometimes what I do is serve my meal on a smaller plate, and not have seconds. Cut out snacks too, and you'll soon be on your way to a healtheir you!

Chude! said...

Lol, LOL, LOL @ "My three kids were conceived with the lights off"!

You shall overcome. Keep fighting!

Vera Ezimora said...

Mrs. Somebody, time don reach and even pass for you to update o! Abeg, hurry up jo

Bitchy said...

Oh my goodness you are HILARIOOUS!! I've never read your blog before... you are so friggin funny Mrs Somebody. I don't think anyone on Blogsville has ever made me laugh out loud that hard for SO long!!

Bravo on the determination to lose weight. Just do what you feel like doing, and only that. I used to be huge and then got rid of it all about 6 years ago. Don't try and do the working out everyday thing... if you're lazy like me, it just won't work. Take it in your stride and focus on what you yourself are most comfortable with. Xxxx

chioma said...

update lady!

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Any body here? hello!!!!where r u??

Admin UD said...

Hmmm. All i can say is that you sholdnt give up on all the exercises yet! It takes courage, openness of mind and a very strong will to be able to do what you're doing. I say keep it up.

Permit me, however, to comment on ya style of writing. By the way, this my first time on ya blog. Keep da spirit high.

Beyond said...

heyya, i pray that you loose the weight. just dont give up on your self cos it takes alot of determination to loose weight, and do your exercise routine regularly.
thanks for stopping by to welcome me , really appreciate it.

chioma said...

r u ok? update pls lets know how u are

Daddy's Girl said...

Hilarious, that's what you are Mrs. Somebody. Love the way you express yourself, you have a great sense of humour and you always keep it real! We love your posts, please don't stay away too long.

PS That pin-rolling thing sounds agonising - and I don't know if I believe that it works. Methinks you should leave it and focus on the exercise.

Admin UD said...

waiting for update ooo!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl...

Have you tried exercise videos at home? Seriously they work so well. Do you know anyone that lives in the U.S. that could order some and send to you? If so I have a website where I order exercise DVDs and they are fantastic.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos-dvds/exercises-dvd-video.aspx

Try ordering some of the ones that involve light weights.

You shouldn't be subjected to humiliation at all...

Vera Ezimora said...

Mrs. Somebody, update o!

Mrs Somebody said...

@Ubong da.....don't mind her,the worst part of it all was that she saw nothing wrong in what she did.

I'm getting a bicycle soon and a personal trainer.

@bubbles.....funny thing was that there were other ladies there who were also being pin-rolled,they didn't mind being naked so everyone just assumed it was okay.

@Bimblylads....you are a clowny clown-o!(lol @ you calling me mrs somborri).

@Azuka.....You can say that again.

@Nyemoni....thanks a lot.I'm so looking forward to the end of this journey.

@chameleon....thanks dear.A little each day will go a long way.I must not forget that.

@waffarian......(lol)Yeah we can all afford to laugh now.But Back then,it was not funny at all.My eyes were RED!

@Ladybug.....you know I needed a lose-it-fast method.I saw it work on other people but they did not tell me it was that painful.I'm done with it now.I'll lose wight the normal way.

@Calabargal......Ubong da is my blog brother-o.
As per the gym,I'm not sure I'll be going back there for now.It's april already.

@Chioma......you just gave me a good idea.Personal trainer huh?If Mr somebody should ask questions I'll call you-o!

Mrs Somebody said...

@Cheetarah.....I'm still waiting.

@Anonymous...Thanks.I'll definately try something else.

@Kpakpando.....u made me laugh on this one.The lady did not see anything wrong with it.

I'm investing in a pedometer and I'm going to walk the weight off.

@SG.....Sorry about your back.I hope it's okay now.

Thanks,I really need a successful and stress free experience at the gym.

@Aunty a.....I heard it really works.I'll post something on it soon.

@Bluntremi.....Thanks for stopping over.I really need serious motivation.

@Anonymous.....Thanks so much for that advice.I'll tak it at my pace then.

@Omara.....I'll never do it again.People who have had it done all say it has worked for them.I guess it's just my pain threshold that's low.

@DWTBT.....I wish you all the best as well.

@Chidi........It was painful-o!

@Favoured girl.........I took your advice and just got enrolled for swimming lessons.Thanks girl!

@Chude........I won't stop fighting.

@Vera Ezimora.....Blog Police.(lol)

@Bitchy.......I'll take it in my strides.thanks .

@Chioma....I'll update jo.

@Daddy's girl........Beleive me I've shoved it aside.I'm focusing on pure exercise and long walks plus a healthy diet.

@Ugo daniels.......okay Sir!!

@Anonymous........Exercise videos?I have plenty of them.One thing I failed to mention here is how lazy I really am.But I'll do my best to overcome it.Thank you so much.

@Vera Ezimora.....I'll update now?

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

I really need to start taking you serious. Gosh this weight loss thingy is so challenging. You have determination. Even though Im laughing with you (not at you), I belive you will make the cut. The very best.

Dith said...

lol....interesting read!
my advice..just look 4 sumtn that u feel comfortable doin other than this pin rolling thng(it sounds kinda wierd). i didnt kno they had stuff lyk that in niaja. well mayb food with lower carbs and fat would help..i also blyv LC has a blog on food or sumtn??

Anonymous said...

LMAO!! I LAUGHED TILL I CRIED WHILE READING UR POST. SORRY EHN. ALSO TRY DRINKING A LOT OF WATER. LET WATER BE THE FIRST THING YOU TAKE IN THE MORNING (EVEN B4 BRUSHING) TAKE AT LEAST 1 LITRE B4 BRUSHING.

pamela said...

Excellent blog. I think this will work for you, I also struggle with my weight, willpower... wish u luck and will point my friends to ur blog for inspiration.

Babena said...

oh my gosh, i know you posted this blog ages ago but i have just read it now and i had to tell u that i feel ur pain and i know wat you went through.

in 2004, i decided to go to quincy to help me lose wait. part of the regieme was to give me "massages". oh boy i think it is only you that can understand wat i went through. i felt like bread being kneaded, then they proceeded to pound me with the pin like meat being hammered with a meat mallet.
to compund it all i have always been an extrememly shy person ( that whole argumnet of we are all girls doesnt work for me)so u can imagine on top of this pain i had to worry about people (cos the door wasnt locked) coming in and seeing my bits
so I feel u Mrs Somebody, i am on a quest like you also to lose weight. wish you all the best.

xx